sábado, 7 de abril de 2012

My Soul to Keep, Rachel Vincent

This book is for the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge, hosted by Fiktshun.


Review: My heart reall broke with this one. So much happens to these beloved characters that I was left with a bitter, sad feeling when I read the last page and closed the book. At first thought, it is easy to lay blame where it's due, but then I start to have some pity and compassion for the characters as well.

First things first, this book starts with a party, Kaylee and Nash are attending, and they soon are onto a vice that's spreading among their classmates: Demon's Breath, a substance from the Netherworld that is highly addictive and can cause madness and death (literally).

One thing I want to complain about these kids is that they don't seem to be able to tell when they're over their heads and just ask for help to their parents, who are supposedly more experienced in Netherworld business. But then we wouldn't have a story, would we? Besides, this time around, not telling their parents is actually a important part of the twist at the end, so I'll try to ignore it.

The story takes some unexpected (and painful) turns... I'll just say I'm very disappointed at Nash Hudson. How screwed up things must be in his mind to accept the situation he was in, and all that happened and shouldn't. I feel bad for him, but I find it hard to forgive and trust him again.

Again, I loved to learn more about the Netherworld and its inhabbitants. Avari was creepy as ever, it was interesting to learn about the lampades, I'm really curious about Alec (the previous books in their UK edition had Alec's Guide to Netherworld), and it was nice and awful to learn more about what Addison has to endure in the Netherworld. I wonder if Kaylee will be able to help her in the future.

Kaylee really shines in this one, given all the things she has to endure. Her talk with Nash was quite emotional. As for Emma, I'm really sorry Kaylee can't keep her out of Netherworld business, but right now I feel the best way to protect Emma is to tell her more about the Netherworld. Meanwhile, Tod is starting to look more interesting (I hope I'm not reading too much into his actions), but I feel Kaylee really needs to be on her own for a while.

I skimmed over the My Soul to Steal excerpt at the end of this book, and boy am I curious. Who is Sabine, and what is she up to?

Pages: 384

Publisher: Mira Ink (Harlequin)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário