quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2013

Shadows in the Silence, Courtney Allison Moulton

This book was read for the 2013 Don't Let It End Reading Challenge hosted by Fiktshun.


My thoughts: I'm a big fan of Ellie and Will. Their story captivated me in Angelfire and I read Wings of the Wicked completely engrossed, but as Shadows in the Silence's release date approached, I was dreading it a bit. It was thrilling to hold the book in my hands, but it was sad to know this is it, this is the end.

After the ending in Wings of the Wicked, Ellie is in a countdown to help Will, and she tries everything she can to save him. This is why I love these two, they adore each other, they are a kickass team, and they are so fiercely protective of each other. They argue and they make up, but they support each other and they are equals. I get all emotional and happy just thinking about them.

As for the other characters... I'll try not to spoil anything as to who lives and dies, or who shows up a bit unexpectedly. (BTW, I really liked to meet that character.) But I love to see how Ellie is surrounded with people that care for her and who will fight for her. There's her Nana, who understands what Ellie is and what she must do. And Kate, who is an awesome friend with a big mouth and a big heart. Or Cadan, who is trying to redeem a lifetime of evil-doing. And Marcus, Ava, Sabina, and a whole lot of other people who leave a mark on Ellie's path.

I am still a big fan of this world of angels and reapers, fallen angels and an archangel in the body of a teenage girl. Nothing comes easy, alliances must be made, and a lot of fighting goes a long way to move the story forward. Ellie and the, hmm, gang feel like the underdogs and winning is not a guarantee. If I had to guess, I'd say Courtney Allison Moulton is a fan of Supernatural (the CW show), because this world has a feel somewhat similar, like Dean and Sam could show up any minute to help out Ellie.

Plot-wise, this is a non-stop ride that barely lets you stop for a breath. The end of the world is near, and Ellie and everyone else travel around the world to investigate leads and retrieve items that might help them stop the villains from destroying the world. There's always something happening in terms of conflict, internal or external, and the ultimate sacrifice looms over their heads.

The ending was a bit sad, yet it felt right, like things were meant to be this way. I wish the very end was not so open, because I like to know everything I can before the book closes, but it ends on a hopeful note, and I was very happy with that.

In retrospective, I loved this series, and I had a great time reading it. I would say it ranks very high among the paranormal books with angels... recommended for the fans of the Unearthly series or the Demon Trappers series. (Two angelic series I love as well.)

Pages: 480

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (HarperCollins)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário